Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Android 4.2 vs. Windows Phone 8

  by Gabriel Carey

        While the latest version of Android isn't quite as big a deal as Windows Phone 8, 4.2 could definitely bring something new to Google's mobile platform, but unfortunately will not bring a tasty new name. That's right: no Key Lime Pie this time around. Google has announced that they're keeping the Jelly Bean name, most likely to cut down on confusion. On the bright side, a few new Android-powered devices are suspected to be announced at the October 29th event, speaking of which Microsoft will be holding an event the same day, showing off their latest adaption of their mobile operating system, Windows Phone 8.



        Microsoft promises major changes in WP8, hopefully revising many of the flaws in WP7. While I wish to see more apps developed for the mobile platform, I can't see this occuring nearly as quickly as it did for Google's Android platform. At one time, I was a huge Microsoft fanboy, but my fanboyism (it's a word) has rapidly been fading away as does time. Many of Windows Phone 8's announced features seem to repair most of what was broken in WP7, with the exception of screen resolution, which worries me. The new mobile OS only shows support resolutions up to 1280x768p, which worries me if the standard for mobile screen resolutions increases. Nevertheless, I can't see this being a huge factor in the release of WP8, but screen resolution limitations are just a pet peeve of the filmmaker/critic within me.


        As a firm supporter of both Google and Microsoft, I wish both companies luck on Friday. After seeing Apple's iPad mini conference, there's no way either event could flop as much as the big Apple did.(Although I can see Microsoft proving me wrong on that.) Android is continuing to grow as Microsoft will shortly begin to regain their growth, but Apple is a company I'm beginning to feel sympathetic towards. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Apple is actually falling, and unless they stop competing with their own products with each new release and start considering the technologically progressive environment surrounding them, they're going to fail, and when they hit the ground, they'll hit it hard, and they can take my sympathy along with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment