Wednesday, April 24, 2013

How Microsoft Could Make A Return To the Next-Gen Console Race


The following article was written before Microsoft confirmed the May 21st unveiling of their next Xbox console:


  We've all heard the rumors regarding Microsoft's next Xbox, codenamed Durango, but what we've yet to hear is any confirmation that these rumors are true. Already, I've seen people use the most god-awful hyperboles in existence (and yes, I'm aware that I too just used a hyperbole) in reference to a console that has yet to be confirmed in any way whatsoever.  Many general video game consumers, in addition Sony and Nintendo fanboys as they're often called, as much as I hate to use the term, are already writing Microsoft off prior to being aware of what Microsoft's upcoming machine is even called! Don't claim that I'm "bashing" you if you're one of these people, as I've recently found myself to be a victim of this pre-announcement write-off, but there is a certain negative connotation associated with this kind of behavior when a console has yet to be announced, and certainly at this point in time Nintendo fans may not be the right group of people to partake in the criticism of Microsoft's next console, primarily because according to many sources, Nintendo most likely won't have an eight-generation console to compete alongside PS4 and Durango, and unless they can prove to consumers otherwise, I may be deeply disappointed in Nintendo in the next few years.
        But how could Microsoft combat these suspicions from the now fans of their competitors? Let's find out... Together. ;) [Laugh]
  1. Say NO to always-online connectivity!: This is the most major complaint I've seen regarding the rumored next-gen Xbox, yet it's far from having been confirmed, other than the controversial remarks we saw from Adam Orth just last week.
  2. Xbox-exclusive games: To me, in the current generation of consoles, I found Xbox to be irrelevant due to the fact that my PC could do the exact same things as Xbox, but without the subscription fee for online play and with much more beautiful graphics. Xbox needs something more than Halo and Gears of War in the upcoming generation; something surprising.
  3. NO subscription fees!: For the brief time that I spent with my Xbox 360, I found the "silver" free subscription to be an annoyance as I couldn't take part in any internet-based services and gave me yet another reason to make the switch to PS3. It should be a no-brainer for Microsoft to discontinue subscription fees... Should be.
  4. Out-of-the-box rechargeable controllers!: This is bound to happen, so I have no worries with this one.
  5. Games NEED to be the focal point, not casual gimmicks!: Wii ruined Microsoft and Sony in the console games market as motion controls became necessary for both companies to succeed, but unfortunately Kinect and PlayStation Move didn't go over as well as expected.
         As most of you probably know, rumors all point to May 21st, 2013 as the announcement date for the next console from Microsoft and as that date quickly approaches, I've thrown together an event that will cover commentary of Micrsoft's event for your own disgusting plesaure. [Oh, that's right, you guys aren't familiar with me yet. That right there was called a joke. For now, I'll insert a comprehensible laugh track each time I crack one of those for your amusement.] You can join the event by clicking here, and don't worry, your browser will open the link in a new tab.


ht next generation xbox ll 130424 wblog Microsoft: Next Gen Xbox Reveal May 21

No comments:

Post a Comment